Zollikofer in London (UK)

Moderator: Wolf

Gesperrt
judybuckley1943

Zollikofer in London (UK)

Beitrag von judybuckley1943 » Do 28. Jan 2016, 17:44

JUDITH SOLLICOFRE was born 17 NOV 1754 Christening: 01 DEC 1754 Lying In Hospital Brownlow Street, Long Acre, London. Father: ANDREW SOLLICOFRE Mother: ESTHER [IGI C055241]

This baby girl was my ancestor. Can anyone help me to find Andrew and Esther?

Or perhaps father was Henry?

Were the parents stopping in London on their journey to America, a British Colony? No other London records of them can be found.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

Wolf

Re: Andrew and Esther Sollicoffer in London 1754

Beitrag von Wolf » Do 28. Jan 2016, 22:54

Welcome to the board, Judy.

Preliminary note: If these people are originally from St.Gallen, their correct spelling (in Switzerland today) will be Zollikofer. I will therefore rename this thread according our usual policy.

Now - let me summarise - we have:

Judith Sollicoffre, born Holborn, Middlesex 17 Nov 1754, baptised 01.Dec 1754, daughter of Andrew Sollicoffre, Dyer from Sangall Switzerland, and Esther (age 23)

Jn°. Robert Sollicoffre, born 16 Aug 1758, baptised 27 Aug 1758, son of Andrew Zollicoffre, Mariner, and his wife Judith Esther (age 26). The record is attached - looks like some sort of hospital record. It mentions "Ball in Switzerland" as parish - misspelling / hearing error for St.Gallen?

Judith Dorothée Zollicoffre, born 19 Oct 1753, baptised 02 Jan 1754, daughter of Henry Zollicoffre and his wife Judith Esther.

Again - if the parents were St.Gallen citizens (and have reported back to their home town) the family should be recorded in Stemmatologia Sangallensis. So the first step is to check this source - which I'll do next time I visit the City Archives.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

judybuckley1943

Re: Zollikofer in London (UK)

Beitrag von judybuckley1943 » Fr 29. Jan 2016, 12:32

Thank you very much! I apologise for not emailing in German!
The records of the births of Judith and John Robert come from a charitable hospital in the City of London for women who had no homes in which to have their babies. Interestingly our family were recommended by the Chairman, the Duke of Portland, who had a Swiss tutor when he was young who stayed on in England.

I think my Sollicoffers must have had links to the Duke. But I cannot link them to any other members of the Sollicoffer family who were also in London at the time (and whose wills I have read). They also seem to have spoken French in London rather than German, but I guess they spoke both? And English as well? Like you?

I agree Ball is a mistake for Gall.

Also I think the family members all had two Christian names and sometimes used one and sometimes the other. And that Judith may have been baptised twice; once in the hospital (probably compulsory) and again, with sponsors in the French Church.

If we can establish a link to St Gallen, I must come out for a visit. So far I have only been to Zurich and Lausanne.

Yours gratefully, Judy

Would you like me to send the other Sollicoffer documents I have found?

Attached is the marriage record (04 Oct 1780) of Robert Overton and Judith Louisa Sollicoffre, including the signature "J. L. Sollicoffre".
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Zuletzt geändert von judybuckley1943 am Fr 29. Jan 2016, 12:36, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Fr 29. Jan 2016, 14:20

judybuckley1943 hat geschrieben:I apologise for not emailing in German!
No problem ;-)!
judybuckley1943 hat geschrieben:The records of the births of Judith and John Robert come from a charitable hospital in the City of London for women who had no homes in which to have their babies. Interestingly our family were recommended by the Chairman, the Duke of Portland, who had a Swiss tutor when he was young who stayed on in England. I think my Sollicoffers must have had links to the Duke.
If you visit the thread on Zollikofer von St.Gallen you will get the (correct!) impression that Zollikofer were one of the leading families in St.Gallen - so I would not be surprised at all the family members in the UK had contacts with a Duke. What surprises me is that a Zollikofer wife would have to go to a charitable hospital to give birth.
judybuckley1943 hat geschrieben:They also seem to have spoken French in London rather than German, but I guess they spoke both?
French was quite popular with well educated families during the 17/18th centuries in German speaking countries, and possibly also in the UK - so French may have been the best way to communicate.
judybuckley1943 hat geschrieben:Also I think the family members all had two Christian names and sometimes used one and sometimes the other.
Could even be more that just two - with all sorts of possible combinations showing up in different documents.
judybuckley1943 hat geschrieben:And that Judith may have been baptised twice;
I doubt that - at least with German&Swiss reformed and catholic denominations baptising a baby twice is a no-go! The only exeption are cases when for a person it is not known, whether (s)he has been baptised already: one of my ancestors was a foundling and was baptised - with the written comment in the register, that this baptism would only be valid, if he had not been baptised before.
judybuckley1943 hat geschrieben:Would you like me to send the other Sollicoffer documents I have found?
Let's see if I find the link of your lines to St.Gallen. If there is a link, I would be most interested in collecting more info on the "UK line" of a St.Gallen family - although the UK is officially not covered on this forum, but emigration is covered.

Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Sa 13. Feb 2016, 10:54

Unfortunately I have bad news for you: no suitable Andrew (Andreas) nor Henry (Heinrich) Zollikofer listed in Stemmatologia Sangallensis: the lines must have left St.Gallen at least one generation earlier, possibly via France (where Zollikofer ran several businesses); some seem to have remembered St.Gallen as their original home town - but did not report births, marriages, deaths back to St.Gallen.

As you mentioned - there are other Sollicoffers (Zollikofer) mentioned in UK documents (some online), like
- Johann Leonhard, marries 1733 Benigne Pellet, or
- Joachim Lorenz, will approved 18.02.1754.
I have not found suitable entries for these either.

Let me add that none of these given names (or name combinations) were popular with the Zollikofers living in St.Gallen during the 17/18th centuries.

judybuckley1943

Beitrag von judybuckley1943 » Sa 13. Feb 2016, 11:36

Many, many thanks for looking!

It interesting that you didn't find the other London lines in St Gallen either. They all seemed to use the French spelling, so I must look for a French origin, especially since that christening record was in French. I must follow up the godparents. I guess their link to St Gallen was still very strong (and very influential) so they used it even if their family had left for more than a generation? I will keep trying! And if I can find out where they came from I will let you know.

If there is ever anything I can look up for you in London, I will do my best, so please do ask me, because I should very much like to return the favour, and we live within easy reach of all the London archives.

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Mi 30. Jun 2021, 13:07

A lead to the origin of this Sollicofre line points to Marseille - see Sollicoffre family in Marseille c.1700-1790. Further discussions on this line should take place there.

Gesperrt

Zurück zu „St.Gallen (SG)“