Testard à Lausanne VD

Moderator: Svenja

Antworten
JosephSmith

Testard à Lausanne VD

Beitrag von JosephSmith » Mo 31. Jan 2022, 06:54

I am working on a project about a Swiss Pastor who played a role in the American Revolution, Rev. Jean-Pierre Testard.
On 13 March 1753, he appeared before the Lausanne City Council before he left for America. The attached photograph is taken from the Council's minutes and explains the meeting.

I am in need of help translating and understanding this record. I believe it is a character reference and explains money that was given to him?

Please see slide 118 for the full-page record: https://mipade.mediancer.com/avl/avl_vi ... ?mag=61336

Thank you for your thoughtfulness and assistance!
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

Peter.D

Re: Testard à Lausanne VD

Beitrag von Peter.D » Mo 31. Jan 2022, 18:41

Hi Joseph,

I'll start with the transcription in today's French, although not everything is clear to me yet:

On accorde à Monsieur le ministre (= reverend) Tetard, fils du feu sieur Jean-Pierre Tetard et (missing part in the text) une attestation franche et deux Ecus blancs (= couronnes) de viatique. Sur (???) Monsieur le Boursier. Et Monsieur le Receveur des pauvres lui livrera quatre Ecus blancs pour supplément de viatique.

Any correction or addition from the forum is welcome. The Archives of the city of Lausanne may probably explain to you what the "attestation franche" exactly was (I guess an attest that he was free and allowed to leave the country) and what value the Ecu blanc had at that time.

Peter

JosephSmith

Beitrag von JosephSmith » Mo 31. Jan 2022, 21:38

Thank you for your time and assistance, Peter. It is most appreciated.

Do you think this "attestation franche" was an actual document issued to Jean-Pierre? Or, do you think because it was recorded in the Council minutes we are looking at the actual "attestation franche" itself and he was not given a document to take with him?
I will write to the City of Lausanne Archives, but I am curious to hear your thoughts about this matter, too.

It is a pity not to see Jean Pierre's mother's name was not in the record, but from other research I know that it was Anne Marie Tacholas. She was from Avenches in the Canton of Vaud.

Additionally, I was not able to find a death record for Jean-Pierre Senior in the parish registers of Lausanne, so this comes as interesting news to learn that he was dead before 13 March 1753. This means that neither of Jean-Pierre's parents were alive to see his ordination and emigration.

The "ecus blancs" were large French silver coins. They circulated in France and French-speaking parts of Switzerland. They were first issued by King Louis XIII in 1641. These coins were similar to a Thaler. I have an interest in numismatics, as well.

Thank you, again!

Peter.D

Beitrag von Peter.D » Di 1. Feb 2022, 08:01

I'm pretty sure it was a document handed over to him for the voyage, something like a predecessor of the later Acte d'origine or - in German - the famous Heimatschein.

Peter

JosephSmith

Beitrag von JosephSmith » Di 1. Feb 2022, 19:33

Peter.D hat geschrieben: Di 1. Feb 2022, 08:01 I'm pretty sure it was a document handed over to him for the voyage, something like a predecessor of the later Acte d'origine or - in German - the famous Heimatschein.

Peter
Thank you, Peter. I appreciate your assistance. I will write to the City of Lausanne Archives to see if they can go into further detail about this topic.

Antworten

Zurück zu „Waadt - Vaud (VD)“