Degen von Horw LU

Moderator: Wolf

mlegere

Degen von Horw LU

Post by mlegere »

Hello there,

My name is Michelle, I live in Canada. I am hoping to uncover more information about Degen relatives from the Luzern Kanton, possible Kriens and Horw. I have a feeling I may have to look in Basel, but I thought I would start with what I know.

My 2nd great-grandmother was Josefa Agnes Degen born 07 FEB 1869 in Luzern Kanton, married to Max/Massimo Schaubeck of Bavaria. Josefa Agnes Degen's parents were Franz Degen and Marie Buholzer. This info came from a marriage index from Horw.

I have a record of a marriage between Franz Xaver Degen and Aloisia Meyer also, with a daughter Maria Josefa Degen born 1852. What is confusing is that Josefa Agnes may have also gone by Marie.

I have DNA Ancestry matches with someone who has a Josef Degen from Switzerland in their tree.

I greatly appreciate any help you are able to provide, thank you.

Wolf

Re: Degen von Horw LU

Post by Wolf »

Luzern church records are online. Josefa Agnes Degen was born 07.02.1869 in Bachmättli(?) and baptised 09.02.1869 in Kriens; parents were Franz Degen, a carpenter of Horw, and Maria Buholzer of Kriens; the couple got married 25.05.1857 in Kriens and lived in Kriens. The grandfather was Franz Degen, also carpenter from Horw.
mlegere wrote:
Thu 13. Feb 2020, 01:48
I have DNA Ancestry matches with someone who has a Josef Degen from Switzerland in their tree.
When did this Josef Degen live? What was his place of citizenship? Do you have info on his ancestors and/or descendants?

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz

mlegere

Post by mlegere »

Hello Wolf, thank you very much for your help! I've been scouring Ancestry, FamilySearch and Swiss archives (federal and Kanton) with very little luck. I obviously have a lot to learn!

The two Degen's in my matches tree were listed as being from Kriens. I got in touch with the match, and he said the info came from a relative and he doesn't have direct access but will be going to Switzerland soon to do more research. Josef Degen was listed as having a daughter Anna Maria Euphrosina Degen 11 Jun 1794-19 DEC 1862 (mother Elisabeth Mahler).

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

mlegere wrote:
Thu 13. Feb 2020, 22:12
The two Degen's in my matches tree were listed as being from Kriens. [...] Josef Degen was listed as having a daughter Anna Maria Euphrosina Degen 11 Jun 1794 - 19 Dec 1862 (mother Elisabeth Mahler).
Kriens is not listed as place of citizenship for Degen in the online version of the Register of Swiss Surnames. In the preceding printed version of 1940, however, Kriens is mentioned: the line gained citizenship there after 1900 and became extinct before 1962. They (or at least some other Degens) seem to have lived in Kriens before, though - at least Anna Maria Euphrosina Elisabetha Degen was also baptised in Kriens 11.06.1794 (frame 219). Unfortunately the record does not mention the father's origin.

It would be best to get as much info on this line as possible, in order to search for correlations.

mlegere

Post by mlegere »

One more thing: It looks like it references godparents from Kriens with the last name Degen? Felix/Feliz and Anna maybe?

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

You are referring to the baptism 09.02.1869 in Kriens: correct - godparents were Felix and Anna Degen, both from Horw(!).

Return to “Luzern (LU)”