Metzger von Wartau SG

Moderator: Wolf

awagenbach

Metzger von Wartau SG

Post by awagenbach » Mon 2. Dec 2019, 04:15

I am looking for Elizabeth, daughter of Heinrich Metzger. Elizabeth was married to Gallus Beusch of Raefis/Buchs in 1737. According to the Buchs church record transcription (credit Roland Thommen), she was from Wartau. Gallus' sister Margaretha Beusch also married a Metzger. She married Martin Metzger in 1716. Martin was from Schaffhausen, but his birth and location of his parents (Martin Metzger and Margaretha Leupert) is unknown. I would like to find out if there is any connection between the two Metzger families. Martin Metzger and Margaretha Beusch are my ancestors.

I would appreciate any information about the Metzger family in Wartau. I believe there is a family book. If someone has a photo, I would also appreciate it. I live in the USA and don't have access.

Thanks so much - Andrea Wagenbach

Wolf

Re: Metzger von Wartau SG

Post by Wolf » Mon 2. Dec 2019, 16:54

First comment: Metzger (butcher) is a fairly common name, since before 1800 eg. in Hallau (Schaffhausen); this does not exclude, of course, the possibility that Martin belongs to the Wartau line. Metzger are no longer (as of 1962) citizens of Wartau, but show up there (according to the Kuratli collection) from 1630 until at least 1875.

You are referring to the Thommen collection (#14, pdf page 4).

According to Thommen the place of living of Elsbeth Metzger's parents was Schan (= Oberschan, part of Wartau). The marriage entry Buchs 24.3.1737 confirms "Schan" as place of living of her parents. I didn't find a suitable baptism Elsbeth Metzger in Wartau, however, within 1700 and 1720. On the other hand, Räfis is given as place of living for Gallus Beusch's parents. Räfis is today part of Buchs - unfortunately also no suitable baptism in Buchs either.

Possibly the Kuratli collection contains further hints - unfortunately one has to visit the State Archive (or one of several libraries) to check.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

awagenbach

Post by awagenbach » Mon 2. Dec 2019, 19:23

Thank you for looking this up! I didn't really understand the locations. I thought "Schan" was in Liechtenstain. Thank you for explaining. I will see if I can find a way to view the Kuratli document. Thanks!

Renato
Supporter 2018

Post by Renato » Mon 2. Dec 2019, 21:37

The village in Liechtenstein is Schaan :)

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Tue 3. Dec 2019, 11:54

The spelling (Schan or Schaan) wouldn't deter me too much - but Schaan FL would be catholic. To make sure, I had also checked a list of old Schaan families - Metzger are not mentioned.

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Tue 3. Dec 2019, 12:17

awagenbach wrote:
Mon 2. Dec 2019, 04:15
... Gallus' sister Margaretha Beusch also married a Metzger. She married Martin Metzger in 1716. Martin was from Schaffhausen, but his birth and location of his parents (Martin Metzger and Margaretha Leupert) is unknown.
Where were they married? ... not in Wartau. What is the source of this information?

Wolf

Metzger von Schaffhausen SH

Post by Wolf » Tue 3. Dec 2019, 21:52

awagenbach wrote:
Tue 3. Dec 2019, 18:03
Thanks so much for the info!! I so appreciate the help.

The marriage of Hans Martin Metzger and Margareth Beusch is documented in the Schaffhausen Bartenschlager

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... -R6X&i=104

Bartenschlager (M-N) Image 105 or "Die Metzger" page 25. Margaretha is listed as from Raefis in the County of Werdenberg. It would seem Martin is from Schaffhausen. However, there are many Metzger in the Bartenschlager. Despite this, the birthplace of Martin and his parents isn't listed. Perhaps most confusing for me is his mother's name "Leupert." I can't find any Leupert in the area. That led me to at least check these Metzgers in Sankt Gallen.
Weitere Diskussionen zu Metzger von Schaffhausen bitte hier - ausser es gibt Hinweise auf einen Zusammenhang mit den Metzger von Wartau.

awagenbach

Post by awagenbach » Wed 4. Dec 2019, 00:07

All this information helped me find them. Listing for reference if others happen to search for them.

Elizabeth Metzger: Jan 11, 1694, Wartau Church Records, Oberschan
daughter of
Heinrich Metzger: Aug 26, 1656, Wartau Church Records, Oberschan
son of
Mathias Metzger: May 23, 1630, Wartau Church Records, Oberschan
son of
Christen Metzger

Thanks.

Return to “St.Gallen (SG)”