Schaubeck in Kriens LU

Moderator: Wolf

mlegere

Schaubeck in Kriens LU

Post by mlegere » Mon 2. Dec 2019, 01:51

Hello, my name is Michelle Legere of Yukon Territory, Canada.

My maternal grandmother was Yolanda Giacometto, who was born on October 27, 1930 in Kriens, Luzerne, Switzerland, and came to Yukon Territory bewteen 1943 and 1951. I am looking for more information on her mother (my great-grandmother) Marie Schaubeck and Marie's family.

Marie was born in 1902, I think also in Kriens. Marie was married to Eduard (possibly Eduordo) Giacometto. I think Eduard was born in 1898 in Kriense, and died 1943 in Kriens.

Marie had a brother named Hans Schaubeck who also came to Yukon Territory, but I think she also had two sisters who stayed in Switzerland. My aunt visited Kriens around the 1970's and visited an Aunt Frieda, who may have been one of Frieda's sisters.

I am hoping to learn Marie's parents names, and her sister's names. As well, if any of my information is incorrect I am hoping to know.

Thank you very much,

Michelle Legere

From Google translate:

Hallo, ich heiße Michelle Legere vom Yukon Territory, Kanada.

Meine Großmutter mütterlicherseits war Yolanda Giacometto, geboren am 27. Oktober 1930 in Kriens, Luzerne, Schweiz, und kam zwischen 1943 und 1951 in das Yukon-Territorium. Ich suche nach weiteren Informationen über ihre Mutter (meine Urgroßmutter) Marie Schaubeck und Maries Familie.

Marie wurde 1902 geboren, ich denke auch in Kriens. Marie war mit Eduard (möglicherweise Eduordo) Giacometto verheiratet. Ich glaube, Eduard wurde 1898 in Kriense geboren und starb 1943 in Kriens.

Marie hatte einen Bruder namens Hans Schaubeck, der auch ins Yukon-Territorium kam, aber ich glaube, sie hatte auch zwei Schwestern, die in der Schweiz geblieben sind. Meine Tante besuchte Kriens in den 1970er Jahren und besuchte eine Tante Frieda, die möglicherweise eine von Friedas Schwestern war. Ich hoffe, Maries Elternnamen und die Namen ihrer Schwester zu erfahren. Auch wenn eine meiner Informationen falsch ist, hoffe ich es zu wissen.

Vielen Dank, Michelle Legere

Felber

Re: Schaubeck in Kriens LU

Post by Felber » Mon 2. Dec 2019, 20:34

I can see if I find something about Yolanda Giacometto’s mother on my next visit in the States Archive. Schaubeck isn’t a Swiss name so they probably weren’t citizens of Kriens originally. But if they lived in Kriens I should be able to find something.

I think I already found something: There was a firma named “D. Giacometto & Co.” in Kriens in 1944 by Dominik Giacometto-Roggenstein and the minor children of the deceased Eduard Giacometto, by name Eduard, Jolanda and Rudolf Giacometto, represented by their mother Sophie Giacometto-Schaubeck. It was a store for wine, spirits and liquors. It became a limited partnership on 1st May 1944.

In 1932 Dominik and Eduard Giacometto became citizens of Kriens.

Jolanda Giacometto left that firm in 1948.

You find some more Giacometto on that website.

Kind regards

Olivier Felber

mlegere

Post by mlegere » Tue 3. Dec 2019, 00:15

Thank you so much Oliver! I talked with my aunt and confirmed that the great-grandmother I know as Marie was also called Sofie, and that my grandma Yolanda did also spell her name Jolanda.

I did just find a marriage record of Sofia Schaubeck to Edoardo Giacometto in 1925 in Italy. It lists Edoardo's father as Lorenzo Giacometto and mother as Frencesca Ameri. It lists Sofia Schaubeck's father as Massimo Schaubeck and mother as Maria Degen. I think the record might have a lot of other interesting information, but I can't read the handwriting, let alone the French :) So if we can find more information on Massimo Schaubeck and Maria Degen that would be amazing!

Edoardo's brother Giuseppe Domenico is listed in the same directory as marrying Lina Disler in 1923. I believe this may be the Dominik from the Luzerne Commerce records you have shown me, and Dominik was later married to Olga Roggenstein.
But Dominico is listed as having been born in Weggis, Switzerland. This website is a wealth of information for those Giacometto's! https://canischioconnections.com/ . It uses familysearch.org

Marie/Maria/Sophie Schaubeck was born in 1902 according to her gravemarker. My aunt also told me that Marie's sisters names were Annie and Frieda. My aunt is going to try to get some more information from Annie's son-in-law for me.

mlischer

Post by mlischer » Wed 4. Dec 2019, 10:21

I found 3 birth records in Kriens:
Sophie, b. 1902-07-20
Max Josef, b. 1901-03-10
Anna, b. 1899-11-25

The parents were
Max SCHAUBECK, Profession: Beer Brewer, Originary: Wolnzach in Bavaria (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolnzach)
Maria Josefa DEGEN, Originary: Horw, Canton of Lucerne

Felber

Post by Felber » Wed 4. Dec 2019, 20:49

You're welcome!

I guess you already know that Sofia Scheubeck is on the FamilySearch tree (although with a wrong date of birth)?

For the further ancestors of Max Schaubeck you probably have to search in Wolnzach.

Kind regards

Olivier

mlischer

Post by mlischer » Thu 5. Dec 2019, 08:14

I found 2 more births in Kriens:
Johann (Hans) b. 1908-03-03
Maria Agnes b. 1897-06-17

According to the marriage index in Horw,
the parents married in Lucerne 1896-09-05,
Max Schaubeck was born 1870-08-25 in Wolnzach, son of Xaver Schaubeck an Martina Ostermaier,
Josefa Agnes Degen was born 1869-02-07 in Kriens, daughter of Franz Degen and Maria Buholzer

Birth index for Kriens is online: https://www.familysearch.org/search/fil ... ?cat=57086

mlegere

Post by mlegere » Fri 6. Dec 2019, 23:09

Thank you again Olivier and mlischer!

At first I was very confused by the record of Max Josef Schaubeck because I was only aware of Sophie Marie Schaubeck as having one brother Hans, who I know was born in 1908. However, when I found a record in the Federal Swiss Archives from 1945 that showed Max, an Anna Schaubeck-Grimm and a Silvia Schaubeck born 1931, I had a clue. My aunt's name is Sylvia, so I asked her about this and she responded that my grandma did have a cousin named Silvia who was her best friend.

Now I'm confused by Sophie's mother.
Josefa (Agnes) Degen is the name on their children's birth records, but Maria Degen is apparently the name on Sophie's marriage banns. The marriage banns says Marie's birthday is 1869-02-07
On Family Search, I found a Franz Xaver Degen with daughter named Maria Josepha Degen, but the wife is name Aloisia Meyer. This Maria Josepha Degen was born 02 Aug 1852 married Edwin Ramsperger in 1875.

If I wanted to have Sophie's Italian marriage banns fully translated (I think it's in Latin), how might I go about that? I can handwrite some of the words in Google translate, but I can't make out most of it, and there's a LOT of writing.

Felber

Post by Felber » Sun 8. Dec 2019, 11:02

You find the birth record of your Josefa Agnes Schaubeck-Degen here. Josefa Agnes, daughter of Franz Degen and Maria Buholzer, born on 7th February 1869. The one you’ve found on FamilySearch is a different one. For further questions about the family Degen from Horw you should make a new topic on that family.

It's strange that she was mentioned as Maria Degen in the marriage record of her daughter. But such smaller mistakes shouldn't be extraordinary. I also have an ancestress that was named Anna but was sometimes called Nanette.

As far as I can tell the marriage record of Sophie Schaubeck is in Italian. If you find an Italian Speaker he might be able to translate it. Sadly I can't help with that.

Kind regards

Olivier

Peter.D

Post by Peter.D » Sun 8. Dec 2019, 17:58

Hi Michelle, can you upload the marriage record? If it's really in Italian, I'll try to make an English summary.

Peter

mlegere

Post by mlegere » Tue 10. Dec 2019, 17:45

Hello Peter,

I think it may be in Latin actually, but I'm not certain. I tried google translating, and Latin picked up some words that seem relevant, but neither I nor Google could read most of the writing. If you are unable to read Latin but could help decipher the handwriting that might be very useful too- but don't put too much effort in. I appreciate it either way!

I'm unable to link the image without compressing it a bunch more, so here is the link. It's image 164, record 1.

Michelle

Peter.D

Post by Peter.D » Tue 10. Dec 2019, 18:57

Hello Michelle,

It's a civil record, not a clerical one, and therefore fortunately in Italian. I'll have a closer look to this promulgation record probably over the weekend and prepare a summary of the major elements.

Peter

Peter.D

Post by Peter.D » Sat 14. Dec 2019, 18:06

Hello Michelle,

The promulgation record does not contain a lot of material information which you, Oliver and Markus didn’t track down already. Following a summary of its major content (with my comments and complements in brackets):

The Civil Registry Office in Kriens, Luzern, sent a letter to the Italian authorities through diplomatic channels, requesting the formal promulgation of the couple Giacometto-Schaubeck (based on a multinational treaty). This letter finally reached the mayor and officer of the civil registry in Canischio, Antonio Frasca, on February 19, 1925. According to the applicable Italian law, Mr. Frasca posted the promulgation sheet twice at the door of the town hall (as reported in the left column of the page).
Edoardo Giacometto, now living in Kriens, was born in Luzern on May 12, 1898 as son of Lorenzo and the late (in 1925) Francesca Ameri. (His older brother Giuseppe – 1923 married to Lina Disler - was born on February 16, 1897 in Luzern, at the address of Weggismatte no. 686, the father working as smith. Lorenzo was born in Canischio on December 22, 1867, son of Giuseppe and Maddalena Poletto).
Sofia Schaubeck, also living in Kriens, was born in Kriens on July 20, 1902 as daughter of Massimo (Maximilian, Max) Schaubeck from Wolnzach in Bavaria (near Pfaffenhofen) and Maria Degen.

Peter

Return to “Luzern (LU)”