Heierli (Heierle) in der Schweiz

Für nicht kantonsspezifische Fragen. Vos messages ne concernant pas spédifiquement un canton. For your non canton specific questions.

Moderator: Wolf

Antworten
AHeyerly

Beitrag von AHeyerly » Di 11. Sep 2018, 20:40

Urspr. publiziert unter Heierli (Heierle) von Gais AR.
================================================

I am also interested in the name Heierle, Heierli, and Heyerly. My husbands great great grandfather was Johannes J Heyerly (Heierle) born Dec 1 1832. Rumor had it that he was illegitimate but no one knew the story. Thank you to "Pulverizer" for the many clues. I found that Suzanna and Johannes came to the US in 1844 on board the ship Zurich. I haven't found out anything about her yet, but knowing about the older brother will help. On the passenger log, Suzanna and Johannes spelled their name as Heierle. They listed their home as Hesse.
Johannes went to Wayne Ohio, where he married Elizabeth Schneck. At some point he changed his name to John J. Heyerly. They moved to Pratum Oregon, wher oe he lived until his death. I will be posting photo's or paintings of him on Family Search.org and my site at My Heritage and Ancestry.com.

Thanks again to everyone for all the clues and information on the family Heierli!!!
Anne Heyerly
Oregon

Wolf
Re: Heierli (Heierle) von Gais AR

Beitrag von Wolf » Di 11. Sep 2018, 20:54

AHeyerly hat geschrieben:
Di 11. Sep 2018, 20:40
I am also interested in the name Heierle, Heierli, and Heyerly. ... They listed their home as Hesse.
Welcome on the forum, Anne 8-).

You mention that on the passenger list the immigrants stated Hesse (in German: Hessen) as their origin - which would be in Germany.

In this thread only Heierli (with some spelling variations), citizens of Gais AR, are to be discussed: have you got any indication (not mentioned in your posting) about Gais as origin? If your family came from Hessen, your posting could (and should) be shifted to the corresponding forum (I would have to do this for you - just let me know).

Best regards - Wolf

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

AHeyerly

Re: Heierli (Heierle) von Gais AR

Beitrag von AHeyerly » Di 11. Sep 2018, 22:11

Thanks for the fast reply! Everything we know about Johannes (the son born in 1832) says he came from the Canton of Bern. He listed his birth as Switzerland as well as his parents on the United States Census. We also understand he spoke "Swiss" as did his son and grandson (my husband's father). I am guessing that because he was born out of wedlock, perhaps his mother went to Hesse because she was banished from the Mennonite community in Switzerland. I know there are many Mennonites in the Hesse region. I was surprised on the ship's passenger list to see Hesse instead of Switzerland.
Hope this helps,
Anne

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Di 11. Sep 2018, 23:12

AHeyerly hat geschrieben:
Di 11. Sep 2018, 22:11
... He listed his birth as Switzerland as well as his parents on the United States Census. ...
OK - let's assume this line is from Switzerland, possibly canton Bern (although there is no Heierle/Heierli citizenship in this canton), most likely not from Gais AR. It may well be, of course, that Hessen was only a stop-over during the move from Switzerland to the USA.

Consequently I'll shift this discussion to "Switzerland - General", where I see better chances to get a response than in the Appenzell forum.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

Antworten

Zurück zu „General“