Bättig von Hergiswil LU

Moderator: Wolf

Antworten
Bisabuela

Bättig von Hergiswil LU

Beitrag von Bisabuela » So 15. Apr 2018, 04:16

Dear Mr Wolf,

I am looking for the origin of both my great-grand-parents surname origin: Uebelhart and Battig.
Would you please help me in this quest?
The name of my great-grandfather was Niklaus Uebelhart.
My great-grandmother: Catrina Battig. I believe she was born in Lucerna Kanton, on February 6, 1854, and emigrated to America in 1859 with her parents (Miguel Battig and Elizabeth Busang) and siblings.
I will greatly appreciate your help

Ana Uebelhart
Zuletzt geändert von Wolf am Di 12. Feb 2019, 23:08, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Grund: urspr. Titel: Bättig im Kanton Luzern

Wolf
Re: Bättig im Kanton Luzern

Beitrag von Wolf » So 15. Apr 2018, 10:14

First of all - welcome to the forum, Ana 8-) !

You had originally posted your query under Schweizer Familiennamen (Ursprung) - but your question indicates to me that this (ethymological development of these two names) is not what you really wanted - correct me if I'm wrong. I assume you are looking for actual data on your ancestors.

Let me start with an explanation: we only discuss single families (defined by name and place of citizenship) in any single thread - so Bättig and Uebelhart will be discussed in separate threads. In case of marriage (like your case) these threads cyn be linked to each other.

I have chosen that Bättig should be discussed in this thread, since Catrine Bättig is the only person where you give some detail (date of birth).

The correct spelling of the name (in Switzerland) will be Bättig (with a-umlaut) - so this is the spelling you'll have to look for when searching in Switzerland. You have her date of birth, but place of birth is a bit vage - canton of Luzern. Unfortunately Bättig are fairly widespread in canton Luzern: 12 communities where Bättig have held citizenship since before 1800. Such information can be found on the Register of Swiss Surnames. Consequently the search should start in the following parishes: Altbüron, Egolzwil, Grosswangen, Hergiswil bei Willisau, Littau, Luthern, Mauensee, Ohmstal, Reiden, Schötz, Ufhusen, Willisau Land. As you have the DoB it should not be too difficult to check the corresponding baptismal registers - all Luzern church records are available online either via familysearch (e.g. Grossdietwil for Altbüron) or via the Luzern State Archive.

You should start a separate thread on Uebelhart. The only old place of citizenship is Welschenrohr (canton Solothurn), but there are also Uebelhard and Uebelhardt which you should not neglect. Anyway, your Niklaus Uebelhart will most likley originate from canton Solothurn - so this is the forum where you should place your query.

Only Bättig should be discussed here.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

Bisabuela

Battig from Hergiswil LU

Beitrag von Bisabuela » Do 30. Aug 2018, 22:51

Dear Geneal-Forum members,

I am in search of genealogical information of my great-grandma: Catherina (or Katrina) Battig (or Baettig) whose father was Miguel Battig (born in 1822) and her mother Elizabeth Bissang (born in 1820) Both parents from Hergiswil near Willisau.

Catherina was born on February 06, 1854 in Hergiswil. She had 2 brothers and 2 sisters, all of them born in Hergiswil (near Willisau, Luzern Kanton)

If you have any information to provide me (about Catherina or her parents/brothers/sisters) I will be very thankful. Or if you can guide me where to get that data.

Catherina emigrated with her family to Argentina (South America) in 1859.

Ana Ubelarte (Uebelhart)

Felber

Re: Battig from Hergiswil LU

Beitrag von Felber » Fr 31. Aug 2018, 17:16

Dear Ana

The church records of the Canton Lucerne are available at FamilySearch. The one's of Hergiswil for example are here. But I haven't found your Katharina Bättig on that day in Hergiswil. Bättig is a rather common name in Lucerne. What else do you know about her parents or siblings that could help narrow down the search?

Kind regards

Olivier

Bisabuela

Beitrag von Bisabuela » So 2. Sep 2018, 03:23

Dear Olivier,

I also have the following information about her siblings:
Brother: Gaspar Battig, born in 1852
Sister: Agata Battig, born 1855
Sister: Ana Maria, born 1858
And as I previously mentioned, the parents: Miguel (Michel) Battig (born in 1822) and his wife Isabel (Elisabeta) Bissang (born in 1820), where all from Hergiswil near Willisau.

I have two copies of "LE SINGAPUR: PASSAGERS.EMBARQUES" (leaving The Havre port on April 20 1859 and arriving Argentina on June 06 1859) with explanation (in Spanish) of the Passengers List of the Singapur Ship wherein the second page, bottom left, under #13 appears MICHEL BATTIG and his family plus 1 brother named Anton. There is written: All born in Hergiswil (Lucerna)

The Battig family was one of the first to emigrated to South America (Argentina) (1859) to colonize the Argentinian Province of Santa Fe. As being one of the pioneers farmers, their name is in many Argentinian historical books.

I have copy (in Spanish) of the Travel Contract signed by the Consul of the Confederacion Argentina in Switzerland, where is outlined the agreement between the Argentinian government and the Baettig family... in the third line is written that they were born in Hergiswil, Switzerland.

And, in the Argentinian book on Colonization, it reads (highlighted in blue) that the Battig family was from Hergiswill, Lucerna.

Finally, there are Coats of Arms for the Battig (yellow) and for the SAGER -maternal last name (on brown plate).

If you need to see all this documentation, please let me know how can I send it to you.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Ana

Felber

Beitrag von Felber » Mo 3. Sep 2018, 11:54

Dear Ana

I've checked the birth records from Hergiswil from 1850 to 1857 with the index, same for the birth records of the parishes Luthern and Menzberg, to which parishes’ part of the community Hergiswil belonged to. Sadly I wasn't able to find one of your Bättig there. The only explanation I have is that maybe Hergiswil was their place of citizenship and not their place of birth.

In Switzerland there is the place of citizenship: Each Swiss citizen belongs to a community where he holds citizenship. Families with the name Bättig have been citizens of Hergiswil since before 1800 (Register of Swiss Surnames). Because births often weren't reported back to the place of citizenship before 1876 and since there aren't family registers from that time it can be hard to find the real place of birth. Luckily most church records of Lucerne are online available on FamilySearch and the books from 1834 to 1875 have indexes. Maybe you’re lucky and come across your Bättig?

Kind regards

Olivier

Bisabuela

Beitrag von Bisabuela » Di 4. Sep 2018, 01:53

Thank you, Olivier,

Ana

Bisabuela

Beitrag von Bisabuela » Mi 19. Sep 2018, 22:39

Hello, Olivier,

In the Register of Swiss Surnames, beside the surname Battig- within LUCERNA- it appears a list of different communities... Maybe if I check in the Statistics of each of those communities I may find the data related to my great-grandma.

Thank you again, Olivier,

Ana

Felber

Beitrag von Felber » Sa 22. Sep 2018, 13:02

Dear Ana

Yes, maybe you find something in one of the other communities within Lucerne where families with the name Bättig were citizens. But theoretically they could've been born anywhere in Lucerne or even outside of it. Sadly civil registration only started in 1876 and the oldest family registers of Lucerne are from the late 19th century.

I can't come up with something else right than just to look through the differents books.

Kind regards

Olivier

Bisabuela

Beitrag von Bisabuela » So 30. Sep 2018, 03:53

I appreciate your response, Olivier.
Best regards,

Ana

Bisabuela

Michael BATTIG and daughter Katherina BATTIG

Beitrag von Bisabuela » Di 12. Feb 2019, 21:50

Post by Bisabuela » Tue 12. Feb 2019, 13:02

Dear Geneal-Forum members,

Joseph Battig, born in Hergiswil bei Willisau in 1790, was married in 1815 to Elisabetha Kunz (born in 1795) also from Hergiswill bei Willisau.

They were the parents of Michael Battig: born May 1st. 1821 in Hergiswil bei Willisau, Luzern.

Michael Battig was married to Elisabeth Bisang (or Busang). They have 4 children born in Switzerland, one of them Katherina Battig (my great-grandmother) born on February 06, 1854.

Katherina Battig emigrated with her family (Parents: Michael Battig and Elizabetha Bisang, and 3 siblings ) to Argentina, South America, in 1859.

I would truly appreciate any help in finding the following information:

- Marriage of Michael Battig with Elisabeth Bisang (Hergiswill bei Willisau, Luzern?)
- Birth place of my great-grandmother (Katherina BATTIG) (Hergiswil bei Willisau?)

Best regards,

Ana Ubelarte (Uebelhart)

Antworten

Zurück zu „Luzern (LU)“