Joliat von Courtételle JU

Moderator: Svenja

Antworten
amywelborn

Joliat von Courtételle JU

Beitrag von amywelborn » Sa 22. Sep 2012, 19:59

Bonjour,

I am looking for records for the surname Juliot in Porrentruy JU or other towns in Jura. This is my second post with a accurate subject line.

Henry Juliot born about 1811
married date?
Victoria Bourcart/Bourquard/Burkart - born about 1827. Parents were Joseph Boucart (born about 1800) and Mary Catherine Raberiner (born about 1800).

Henry and Victoria - birth of child - Adeline 1849

They left for USA about 1850. Settled in New Albany, Indiana in 1850's. The french speaking area they settled was called Porrentruy as it reminded them of their homeland. Later they moved their family to Pepin, Wisconsin and are buried there. I would like to find records in Jura for them - baptisim, marriage, parent's names and records.

Merci,
Amy Juliot Welborn
Zuletzt geändert von Wolf am Di 2. Aug 2016, 16:04, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Grund: urspr. Titel: Juliot im Kanton Jura

Wolf

Re: Juliot im Kanton Jura

Beitrag von Wolf » Sa 22. Sep 2012, 21:14

Juliot is not mentioned in the Register of Swiss Surnames - so it will be either an extinct surname (as of 1935) or the spelling was changed after emigration (which happened frequently). Potential original spellings could be
Joliat of Courtételle or Glovelier
Jollat of Porrentruy (!)
Juilierat of Chevenez or Bressaucourt or Coeuve or Epiquerez or Montmelon

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

amywelborn

Beitrag von amywelborn » So 23. Sep 2012, 04:38

Thank you Wolf,

If the name had been changed in emigration from Joliat or Jollat to Juliot, what would be my next avenue to search for my ancestors with in Porrentruy or Courteltelle?

Thank you again,
Amy

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » So 23. Sep 2012, 09:46

Today's Civil Registry System was started in 1876 - as your ancestors left about 1850 they may not be included (although some data were included retrospectively). In most regions, however, similar registers were already kept since the early 1800s, and the web page of the cantonal archives mentions these (without giving a date when they started): so I would ask them when these registers start - and if possibly someone could check for "potential emigrants".

The next step would be church records - have been filmed by LDS, together with several other sources - see summary of genealogical records in canton Jura.

As Jura belonged to Bern until 1979, there is also a chance you find useful info at the Bern state archives (unfortunately their support for genealogical research is rather limited).

Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/

RolandW

Beitrag von RolandW » Fr 25. Jan 2013, 15:05

Bonjour Amy

Is there any possibiity, that JULIOT might not be the right spelling?
I found a wedding of a Henry and Victoria in 1848, just the year before Adeline was born. But his name would be JOLIAT, which is quite common in the area of Porrentruy.

This is what I found:

JOLIAT Henri Joseph and BOURQUARD Marie Catherine Victoria - Marriage (wedding) 21. November 1848 in Boécourt JU
BOURQUARD Marie Catherine Victoria - Naissance (birth) 13. September 1828

Adeline Joliat could be JOLIAT Adèle Esther. She got married with LEUBA Jean Paul in Beaucourt JU on 20. December 1886. But this is just a guess!
Nevertheless "Adeline" and "Adèle" are short forms of the well used name Alice (englisch), Adelaide (french), Adelheid (german). So it could fit.

Source:
I found the above in the following link
http://www.cgaeb-jura.ch/actes/
Write "Bourquard" or "Joliat" below "Recherche directe" and you will see all Bourquards or Joliats. You might find something more.
But unfortunately for more details you would have to register and pay.

Hope this helps.
If you need any further help with french language, geography or other support, please feel free to contact me. I visiting the Porrentruy area once a month.

Best regards
Roland

amywelborn

Beitrag von amywelborn » Fr 25. Jan 2013, 17:37

Roland,

Thank you so much for your reply and your time spent looking into this for me. I believe you might have found my great great grandparents. Other family members say they came to the USA in 1852 via New York, NY. Victoria is shown with her husband and children in the 1860 US census records with what I assumed is her brother named "Joseph Bourguard, age 29, status-insane". I will have to search through death records for Victoria's middle name which I had not seen prior to your message.

As for Adeline, her name is recorded as Adeline Margaret Juliot, born May 5, 1850 in Switerland. Other family found through ancestry.com say she moved when she was 3 years old. She married in Wisconsin, USA and is buried there. So the Adeline you found must not be the same. Which makes me wonder if her parents are the ones I am looking for.

I will have to look into purchasing access to the records you mentioned.

Thank you again,
Amy Juliot Welborn

RolandW

Beitrag von RolandW » Fr 25. Jan 2013, 18:45

Amy,
thanks for the nice feedback.
Guessing is dangerous, I know. So it's good to double check twice.
Do you know where Adeline Margeret Juliot or Joliat was born? Courtetelle?
Roland

RolandW

Beitrag von RolandW » Fr 25. Jan 2013, 18:50

Helo Amy, me again.
Just an idea. Joseph, her brother, could be BOURQUARD Pierre Joseph born in Boécourt on 01/06/1830. See the source I listed.
Regards Roland

amywelborn

Beitrag von amywelborn » Di 2. Aug 2016, 03:58

Dear Roland,
Thank you so much for your assistance. I cannot believe that it has been 3 years since I last had time to devote to my family research. I have asked the website link that you last provided as to how I could pay to obtain more detailed information from the marriage and birth record for BOURQUARD Marie Catherine Victoria (and Joliat Henri Joseph).

If you have any suggestions as to how to pay the fee to obtain please let me know. I could not find a link on their website that gave me an option.

Many thanks,
Amy Juliot Welborn

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Di 2. Aug 2016, 10:23

Hello Amy and Roland,

just to be on the safe side (before I rename and split this thread) - are we now talking of
- Joliat of Courtételle JU :?: and
- Bourquard of Boécourt-Séprais JU :?:

Renaming the thread does not need to be explained, I hope, but let me comment on splitting into 2 threads: in the Swiss forums we discuss only single families (defined by name and place of citizenship) in any single thread, whenever possible. The longer we discuss 2 families (Joliat and Bourquard) in 1 thread, the more difficult it will become to separate this. I know, there is a marriage: no problem - threads can/will be linked to each other.

amywelborn

Beitrag von amywelborn » Di 2. Aug 2016, 14:49

Thank you Wolf for clarifying the method for searching. Yes I am trying to find as much information about both persons, who were married in 1848. I am unsure where the origin of Henri JOLIAT lies as I have yet to find a birth record for him (in Jura). If you have any suggestions where else to search for him that would be appreciated. Victoria BOURQUARD has both a marriage and birth record for Boecourt.
Can you give me details for how I can pay to obtain the detailed record for their marriage and her birth? I could not find a link in the website.
Many thanks,
Amy Juliot Welborn

Wolf

Re: Joliat von Courtételle JU

Beitrag von Wolf » Di 2. Aug 2016, 16:27

Hello Amy,

organisational comment first: I have summarized all earlier information on Bourquard in a new thread Bourquard von Boécourt-Séprais JU. I recommend you view this and then activate "subscribe topic" in order to get notifications whenever something new is posted there (same applies to anyone else interested in this family).

From now on only Joliat of Courtételle should be discussed here.
Bourquard of Boécourt-Séprais should be discussed in the other thread.

I have renamed this thread "Joliat von Courtételle" as Courtételle seems to be the most likely place of citizenship. Should it later turn out that another community is the family's place of citizenship, the thread can be renamed again.

Now for your payment question: most Swiss governemental offices will only accept direct bank transfers (banking fees to be paid by the sender). Cheques will usually not be accepted, as cashing them would incur rather hight fees at Swiss banks :twisted:. Direct bank transfers are quite costly as well, so the preferred solution will depend on the amount of money to be paid. I won't give a definite value - but direct transfer makes sense for large amounts; for smaller amounts you could try to find someone with a Swiss bank account, willing to accept Paypal, and then paying the bill for you (no bank charges within Switzerland).

amywelborn

Re: Joliat von Courtételle JU

Beitrag von amywelborn » Mo 7. Mai 2018, 16:57

Jura Archives shared in 2017:
The year of the Lord 1848, November 21, after having announced once during the solemn mass of Sunday, both in our parish church and those of Courtételle and Glovelier, and after receiving our reverend bishop the necessary exemptions for the following two announcements, after having detected no impediment, I the priest of the church Saint Etienne de Boécourt, and by their mutual consent, I blessed the marriage of Henri Joseph Joliat, legitimate son of François Joliat and Marie Rose born Conte, spouses of Courtételle on the one hand ... and Marie Catherine Victoire Bourquard, 20 years old, legitimate daughter of Pierre François Joseph Bourquard and deceased Marguerite, born Bourquard, spouses of Boécourt, of on the other hand, in the canton of Berne, and according to custom, in the presence of witnesses underwritten, namely François Bernard, said Boécourt, François Joliat de Courtételle, brother of the husband, and Jean Baptist iste Bourquard, of Boécourt, brother of the wife. What I attest: L. Mérat, priest of Boécourt.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

Antworten

Zurück zu „Jura (JU)“