Familien von Östlich Raron VS

Moderator: Svenja

Gesperrt
ÖstlichRaron

Familien von Östlich Raron VS

Beitrag von ÖstlichRaron » So 16. Aug 2020, 23:26

Researching Venetz, Imhoff, Nellen, Kummer, Schwery, Ittig, Stucki, Minnig, Siber, Rösser, Dietzig, Gerold. and related families, from <1500-present.

Thanks for any possible collaborations. See my family tree [see below: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Venetz-55] for all that I know. It is based on the work of Pfarrer Ferdinand Schmidt von Ried-Mörel ca 1887, as well as the later derivative book of Pfarrer Peter Arnold, 'Licht und Schatten im den 10 Gemeinden von Östlich-Raron im Wallis', 1961.

Many thanks to Nico, who I met online in 1998, and who passed on to me the relevant parts of Pfarrer Schmidt's research. I see a Nico referenced often on this site, but do not know if the same Nico.

Seattle Washington USA

Wolf

Re: Familien von Östlich Raron VS

Beitrag von Wolf » Mo 17. Aug 2020, 09:43

Welcome to the forum, "ÖstlichRaron", but ...

in this forum we try to discuss single families in each given thread, a "family" being defined by a name and a place of citizenship. Östlich Raron is a district with several communities - and you list several names. Detailed discussions on all these families in a single topic would soon result in chaos.

You invite readers to "See my family tree for all that I know" ... where? If online, please, supply a link.

This link should be given here - but for detailed discussions on single families separate threads should be started.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

ÖstlichRaron

Beitrag von ÖstlichRaron » Di 18. Aug 2020, 19:55

Hello, Wolf. Thanks for my welcome message and helpful instructions.

This was my introductory post. As such, it was meant to explain my research interests, and to solicit comments, such as yours, regarding proper ways to proceed with specific research. If anyone answers this post with information to share regarding a specific name and place, we will conduct the ensuing discussion in a topic-specific thread, as you suggest.

All our ancestral families lived in Östlich Raron from the 1800s, back in some lines to before 1500. Hence, I make that fact clear via post title and via profile name. I am aware that it is a district, but one with small population and closely connected villages. I would be surprised that anything happening at one end of the district wasn't soon known at the other end as well! Our most specific locale is Riederalp, from Mörel up to the Greater Aletsch.

When I registered my profile, your site asked for a link to my family tree. I thought that was a great idea, and provided my link as requested, relevant to research in Östlich Raron. Here is a duplicate of my profile's link: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Venetz-55

Cheers.

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Mi 19. Aug 2020, 12:33

Hello "ÖstlichRaron",

thank you for your explanations, but let me predict (based on 15 years of supervising the Swiss sub-forums) that a family specific response (which could be split off) is rather unlikely - most likely a response will contain information or questions relating the several of these families - by which time it would be too late to split this off.

I will therefore close discussion on this thread. Anyone interested in any of the above mentioned families is invited to start a new thread (single family only - defined by name and place of citizenship). If the author sends me a PM (to make sure I don't miss the topic), I will link from here.

Now - I'm aware that we didn't have this place of citizenship (in today's definition) prior to 1500. Anyone with a starting point after 1800, however, should be able to define the place of citizenship of his ancestors. The Register of Swiss Surnames lists the following places of citizenship for Östlich Raron and the following surnames for pre-1800 citizenships:
Betten: Imhof, Stucki, Minnig
Bister: Venetz, Imhof, Schwery, Ittig
Bitsch: Venetz, Kummer, Schwery
Filet: Venetz, Schwery
Grengiols: Imhof
Mörel: Venetz
Ried bei Mörel: Venetz, Nellen, Kummer, Schwery, Minnig
Almost certainly there will be connections between e.g. the Venetz lines during the early centuries. Where connections are proven or families related (e.g. by marriage) the individual threads can be linked to each other.

Re the link to your wikitree site: it's nice to have the link in your profile - but in my experience few readers check these profiles. If another site is referred to in the text, it will be much more comfortable for readers to find a direct link: I will therefore add your link to the first post.

I am looking forward to interesting discussions on the families of Östlich Raron.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

Gesperrt

Zurück zu „Wallis - Valais (VS)“