Rüdt im Kanton Thurgau

Moderator: Wolf

Judeswiss

Rüdt im Kanton Thurgau

Post by Judeswiss »

Hello,

Looking for my great great grandmother & grandfather's place of final rest and further information about the family if possible.

Luisa Rued/Rud was born 1838 in Wigoltingen, married my great great grandfather Conrad Haubenschmid/Haubenschmidt in 1864 (same location), and he died about 1867 leaving her with two very young daughters (Rosina/Rosa and Mary/Marie). Luisa (now Haubenschmid) married second husband Johann/Johannes Kreis 1868 in Bischofszell and has six more children all with births registered in Zihlschlacht.

My great grandmother, Rosa Haubenschmid (later Stumpf) immigrated to the US with her sister Mary about 1891.

Thank you.
Jude
Last edited by Wolf on Sun 2. Feb 2020, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: urspr. Titel: Wigoltingen, Zihlschlacht

Wolf

Re: Rüdt im Kanton Thurgau

Post by Wolf »

First of all - welcome to the forum, Jude :D!

Let me start with a technical comment: we usually discuss single families (defined by name and place of citizenship) only in each topic. Related families (e.g. by marriage) should be mentioned, of course, but details discussed in separate topics ... topics can then be linked to each other. I have therefore renamed your contribution according to the family of most interest in your contribution.

You'll find todays spelling for Swiss citizens in the Register of Swiss Surnames. Most likely Luisa's family will be spelled Rüdt today - with pre-1800 citizenships in Berg and Illhart (both Thurgau) only. They could well have lived somewhere else, however, like Wigoltingen and/or Zihlschlacht.

Which sources have you researched so far? Thurgau church records have been filmed/digitized by the Mormons - and can be viewed online in their Family History Centres. Some Wigoltingen records have even been indexed - these indices can be viewed from home. There are loads of Rüd (spelling at the time) entries in Wigoltingen. As Illhart belongs to the parish of Wigoltingen, this will likely be the place of citizenship of your Rüd/Rüdt.

The films also include a "Familienbuch (Illhart, Lamperswil) 1787-1954": there you'll find entire families summarized. You have to visit a Family History Centre, though, to be able to view this record.

Just as an aside: the only pre-1800 citizenship for Haubenschmid is Hemishofen in canton Schaffhausen ... please, start a separate topic for further discussions on that family.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

Judeswiss

Post by Judeswiss »

Thank you so very much for you helpful information and direction in regard to the forum. I have researched through Ancestry & Family Search but have not visited FHL as yet. I had no idea they had records which I could review for Thurgau and I am excited to check this out soon.

So if I am understanding correctly, early 1800-late 1800 records are linked to a family summary in their place of origin? What does the family record indicate? Birth, marriage, death? Would you please explain the pre-1800 citizenships?

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Citizenship first: you'll find a short description on http://kunden.eye.ch/swissgen/CH-burger-e.html. Unlike in other countries, this system is still valid in Switzerland today. In earlier centuries place of citizenship and place of living will often have been identical - they could have differed, though. For persons born after about 1800 the place of citizenship is where one best starts any research; this is true also before 1800, unless there are indications to search somewhere else. The Register of Swiss Surnames tells you which communities are potential places of citizenship.

"Family Registers" were introduced in most Swiss cantons roughly in 1830-1850, nationwide in 1876. In many cantons there were preceding "family books" (kept by the local priest) - but without strict rules what to record. You therefore have to check individual books to find out. Usually it will list a married couple with all children, giving (as far as known) dates of birth, marriage and death. In some cases you'll also find the parents-in-law, or the children's partners. These books have to be considered a secondary source, so all dates should be confirmed by checking the birth, marriage, death registers - usually easy to find if you already know the exact date.

Be aware, when looking for these records: they are scanned original records - so you will have to deal with a script you may not be used to.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

Judeswiss

Post by Judeswiss »

Wolf,

Thank you so very much for your detailed information. This is very helpful! Have a wonderful day.

Jude

Return to “Thurgau (TG)”