Scossa von Malvaglia TI

Moderator: Wolf

fullmer49

Scossa von Malvaglia TI

Post by fullmer49 » Sun 27. Jan 2013, 00:35

I am looking for information on the Scossa-Baggi and Totti families from the 1750's to 1850. They are from Malvaglia. Any information would be helpful.

RAF
Last edited by Nico on Sun 5. Oct 2014, 20:12, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: urspr. Titel: Scossa-Baggi or Totti

Wolf

Re: Scossa von Malvaglia TI

Post by Wolf » Sun 27. Jan 2013, 13:07

Please, discuss single families in each thread only. Only Scossa of Malvaglia should be discussed here. Please, start separate threads on the other two surnames. These threads can be linked to each other for married couples - which requires, however, that you state details of what you know already. Giving details is recommended anyway, as it enhances your chances to get a response.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

fullmer49

Post by fullmer49 » Sun 27. Jan 2013, 19:47

I am looking for the father and mother of Antonio Scossa-Baggi. He was born on 11/11/1798 and died in 1856. He was married to a Rosa Totti who lived from 1/11/1800 to 5/7/1881.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Additionally I would like to know when the family name (surname) changed from Scossa to Scossa-Baggi.

If there is any family history about the Scossa-Baggi family it would be of great interest to me.

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Sun 27. Jan 2013, 22:25

fullmer49 wrote:Additionally I would like to know when the family name (surname) changed from Scossa to Scossa-Baggi.
It didn't change at all: Scossa-Baggi is not a surname - it's a combination of husband's (Scossa) and wife's (Baggi) name - often found in Swiss documents. My wife's and my surname is Seelentag - but my tax declaration form is for Seelentag-Rohmann (my wife's maiden name being Rohmann).

So you should search for Scossa (in this thread) and Baggi (in a separate thread), Baggi also being old Malvaglia citizens.
If Antonio was married to a Totti (not a Malvaglia family, by the way) Baggi wil be his mother's maiden name.

Peter.D

Post by Peter.D » Mon 28. Jan 2013, 09:59

Scossa-Baggi or Scossa Baggi is an independent family name, not only an alliance name. I guess that such names were created to distinguish families with the same name in smaller villages, like e.g. Garbani-Nerini in Gresso (Vergeletto).
RAF should have a look to this site and I propose him to contact the editors of the Blenio Valley Site, who probably know if somebody deals with family history in this area.

Peter

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Mon 28. Jan 2013, 20:42

Scossa-Baggi is not listed in the Register of Swiss Surnames (as of 1962), i.e. is not "officially" a Swiss surname. Such "double names" were allowed for some time (not sure about the exact time frame) - to my knowledge for husband and wife only - not for their children.
Somehow Scossa-Baggi made it into the Register (as of 1935), together with a few more examples. The fact that none of the Scossa-nnn names (of 1935) shows up in 1962 indicates that all these lines have become exctint - possibly due to the fact that children did not carry the double name.

Other examples (in the 1935 data set) are
Scossa-Ghiringhelli
Scossa-Lodovico
Scossa-Romano
as well as
Ambrosetti-Giudici
Dandrea-Roredi
Ferrioli-Campanile
Giudici-Della-Ganna
Menegalli-Boggelli
... all in Malvaglia (plus only a few, single examples in other Ticino communities). Again - none of them shows up in 1962, which makes me believe this was an error during the 1935 data collection, and corrected in 1962.

Even if not - all these names will have started out as alliance names.
This info will still be useful ... to identify the maternal line.

Peter.D

Post by Peter.D » Mon 28. Jan 2013, 21:21

Hallo Wolf, ich denke der Fehler liegt eher in der Ausgabe des FNB von 1962. Der Doppelname kommt nämlich auch heute noch oft vor, die sind überhaupt nicht ausgestorben, wie ein Blick z.B. ins Tessiner Amtsblatt zeigt - und zwar mit und ohne Bindestrich!

Peter

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Mon 28. Jan 2013, 22:17

Kann auch sein .... wie gut ist Dein Italienisch? Meines ist leider inexistent - und so kann ich schlecht (allenfalls auf Englisch) beim zuständigen Zivilstandsamt nachfragen, was Sache ist. Könntest Du das evtl. an die Hand nehmen?

Peter.D

Post by Peter.D » Tue 29. Jan 2013, 09:00

Ich frage mal beim Zivilstandsamt in Acquarossa nach ob beide Varianten von Scossa-Baggi bzw. Scossa Baggi offiziell eingetragene Namen sind.

Peter

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Tue 29. Jan 2013, 10:14

Prima - das gibt dann vielleicht einen weiteren Beitrag im Thread Korrekturen am Familiennamenbuch.

Peter.D

Post by Peter.D » Tue 29. Jan 2013, 11:32

Die für den Kreis Blenio zuständige Zivilstandsbeamtin hat mir bestätigt, dass die Namen:

- Scossa
- Scossa-Baggi
- Scossa-Ghiringhelli
- Scossa-Lodovico
- Scossa-Romano

alle im aktuellen Familienregister als unabhängige und offizielle Geschlechtsnamen vorkommen (es sind also Doppelnamen, nicht Allianznamen). Hingegen ist "Scossa Baggi", also ohne Bindestrich, obwohl auch oft verwendet, kein offizieller Name. Du kannst somit den Thread wieder auf Scossa-Baggi zurück ändern.

Bevor ich einen Beitrag bei den Korrekturen einstelle: fehlen die Namen auch in der gedruckten Ausgabe von 1989 oder nur in der mir zugänglichen Online-Version des HLS? Bei der Digitalisierung gab es nämlich auch diverse Fehler.

Peter

Wolf

Re: Scossa von Malvaglia TI (-Baggi,-Ghiring.,-Lodovico,-Rom

Post by Wolf » Tue 29. Jan 2013, 16:47

Danke für die Abklärungen ! Ich habe den Titel angepasst - allerdings möchte ich doch alle Scossa-Variationen in einem einzigen Thread belassen, damit Diskussionen um die gemeinsamen Scossa-Vorfahren nicht auseinanderdriften.

In der geduckten Ausgabe von 1989 kommt nur Scossa vor - keiner der Doppelnamen.

Wolf

English Summary

Post by Wolf » Tue 29. Jan 2013, 17:01

Peter any myself had discussed the confusion of several Scossa names: just Scossa, and Scossa-Baggi, Scossa-Ghiringhelli, Scossa-Lodovico, Scossa-Romano. The question was whether these double names are official double names (i.e. the children will inherit that name) or just names used for a married couple Scossa and (e.g.) Baggi.

There are several versions of the Register of Swiss Surnames, but only two data collections - of 1935 and 1962. The version based on the 1935 data includes these double names, the versions based on the 1962 data do not. Peter now got confirmation from the responsible Civil Registry Office, that the double names are official names - just omitted during the 1962 collection of data.

I have adapted the thread title now, including all Scossa versions: the aim is to avoid discussions on the common Scossa (just Scossa) ancestors drifting apart.

For you (RAF) further research will have to reveal when Baggi gets involved: this may mean just one, or several generations of Scossa-Baggi to be discussed here, before a new thread on Baggi (stand alone) should be started.

fullmer49

Post by fullmer49 » Thu 28. Mar 2013, 09:21

As I understand your post, I can now look or ask questions about the Scossa-Baggi line with some hope of results. I want to thank you for your research into the family name. This task is proving to be more involved than I had thought.

So ---- if there is any information about the Scossa-Baggi family line prior to the 1850's could someone lead me to it?

RAF

fullmer49

Post by fullmer49 » Sun 5. Oct 2014, 15:40

Since my last posting I have been able to trace my lineage back to one Martino Scossa 1808-1854. Are there records of any type that go back before 1808?

Peter.D

Post by Peter.D » Sun 5. Oct 2014, 17:11

Hi RAF, where did you find the records back to 1808? Was Martino Scossa born in Malvaglia?

The church records of Malvaglia are available from about 1700 on microfilm in a center of the Mormons (LDS).

Peter

Return to “Tessin (TI)”