Brühlmann von Lohn SH

Moderator: Wolf

Antworten
alpinecelt

Brühlmann von Lohn SH

Beitrag von alpinecelt » Di 22. Jan 2013, 13:49

I am looking for information on the Brüllmann family. My ancestor Jacob Brüllmann was born about 1721. He may have been born in Amriswil. He left from Lohn in the Canton of Schaffhausen in 1747 to come to America. I plan to visit Switzerland this summer and while there would like talk to someone who may know more about the Brüllmann family and its origins.

Wolf
Re: Brüllmann von Amriswil TG

Beitrag von Wolf » Di 22. Jan 2013, 18:50

Brüllmann are (and have been since before 1800) citizens of several communities in (what is today) canton Thurgau:
- Amriswil
- Ennetaach [new = Erlen]
- Hefenhofen
- Oberaach [new = Amriswil]
- Oberhofen [new = Lengwil]
- Räuchlisberg [line extinct]
- Schocherswil [new = Amriswil]
- Sitterdorf [new = Zihlschlacht-Sitterdorf]
- Sulgen
- Zihlschlacht-Sitterdorf

So citizenship of Amriswil is quite plausible for your ancestor, and the next step would be to check church records, starting with Amriswil. These records have been filmed by the Mormons, and may be viewed either at their Familiy History Centres, or the Thurgau State Archive.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

Peter.D

Beitrag von Peter.D » Di 22. Jan 2013, 22:11

But Lohn in the Canton of Schaffhausen is also an old (i.e. prior to 1800) place of origin (citizenship) of the Brühlmann family.
Why do you suppose that your ancestors came from Amriswil to Lohn ?

Peter

alpinecelt

Beitrag von alpinecelt » Di 22. Jan 2013, 22:42

We don't know why Lohn unless that was where he needed to be to get passage to America. We do know through Ydna testing that we are related to a member of the Brullmann family living today who was born in Amriswil. I have talked to members of the Bruhlmann family in Lohn by phone. They were helpful with their history. They do not believe the two families are related as the names have different meanings. In America the name Brullmann became Prillaman, Prillerman, Prilliman, Prillman within one generation.

http://www.prillaman.org/research.html
https://www.facebook.com/PrillamanFamily

alpinecelt

Beitrag von alpinecelt » Di 22. Jan 2013, 22:57

Hans Jacob Brüllmann's tombstone says he was born in 1721. In searching the Mormon church records, it appears Hans Jacob Brüllmann was a very popular name at this time. There was a Hans Jacob christened in Sitterdorf, Thurgau, Switzerland in 1720 and 1722; three christened in Amriswil in 1720 in the months of Feb., June and October, and another Hans Jacob in Amriswil in 1723.

Peter.D

Beitrag von Peter.D » Mi 23. Jan 2013, 09:25

If your ancestor came with documents from Lohn (Schaffhausen), e.g the so called Heimatschein (proof of origin), I would strongly recommend to start there. The State Archives of Schaffhausen keep the church records of Lohn, including the family register starting in 1758. You have to call them prior to your visit. The church records are currently digitized and therefore not available in the first quarter 2013.

If you can't find him there, you should go to the State Archives of the Canton of Thurgau in Frauenfeld, as indicated by Wolf. But Amriswil was a very small village at that time and an emigration to the US definitely did not pass through Lohn ...

Finally, the spelling of names at that time was by no means fixed. Thus, you should not be misled by different spellings of the name of the same family.

Peter

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Mi 23. Jan 2013, 10:31

Jacob Brüllmann is mentioned on Emigration from Canton Schaffhausen - with wife and children.

It is highly unlikely that he would be mentioned in this list if just passing Lohn (plus - what Peter said - Lohn would not be a special place to be mentioned on the way to emigration). Consequently I would also recommend to start your research in Lohn.

If it can be confirmed that your ancestor actually is the one mentioned on the above emigration list, please, send me a reminder to add a link to this thread on the web page.

BTW - whilst the above list spells the name Brüllmann (as of the time), the spelling today (Register of Swiss Surnames) would be Brühlmann.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

alpinecelt

Re: Brüllmann von Lohn SH

Beitrag von alpinecelt » Mi 23. Jan 2013, 19:42

If it can be confirmed that your ancestor actually is the one mentioned on the above emigration list, please, send me a reminder to add a link to this thread on the web page

I believe my ancestor is the one who emigrated from Lohn in 1747 as shown on the list you mentioned. He arrived in Philadelphia and signed his name on the list of abjuration as required. The signature from that list appears to match the signature from his daughter's marriage bond.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.

John

Re: Brühlmann von Lohn SH

Beitrag von John » So 7. Mai 2017, 15:59

Die Brühlmann von Lohn SH stammen aus Zihlschlacht.
Im Kirchenbuch von Lohn 1558-1600 lässt sich der Eintrag der Heirat finden am 31 Augusti 1561.

http://kirchenbuecher.sh.ch/index.php?b ... 1_0006.jpg

In den weiteren Büchern von Lohn sind mehrere Einträge für gesuchte Hans Jacob Brüllmann um 1721 +/-,
zum Beispiel:
http://kirchenbuecher.sh.ch/index.php?b ... 3_0409.jpg

Gruss John

Antworten

Zurück zu „Schaffhausen (SH)“