Eberhard von Maseltrangen SG

Moderator: Wolf

Antworten
geneviève

Beitrag von geneviève » Mi 26. Apr 2006, 14:30

Deutsch Fassung s.u.
hello, je suis française, mon ancêtre est Jean-Jacques (version française) ou Johann-Jacob ou Hans-Jacob Eberhard né le 15 Aout 1837 à Maseltrangen fils de Jean-Jacques Eberhard et de Marie-Madeleine (en français) Giger ou Giguer ? J'aimerais savoir si quelqu'un peut me renseigner sur les parents de mon ancêtre et si ceux ci ont un rapport avec les blasons édités par Wolf. Mon ancêtre est parti se marier en France à Dieulefit dans la Drôme et ensuite est parti pour l'Algérie dont sont originaires tous ses descendants si ça peut interesser un Eberhard de Maseltrangen, je peux lui donner tous ls renseignements avec photos de tout le monde depuis 1880.
Hallo, ich bin Französin und mein Vorfahre Jean-Jacques oder Johann-Jacob oder Hans-Jacob Eberhard ist am 15.08.1837 in Maseltrangen geboren als Sohn von Jean-Jacques Eberhard und Marie-Madeleine Giger ou Giguer.
Kann mir jemand Angaben machen zu seinen Vorfahren und sagen, ob diese Eberhard in Verbindung zu bringen sind mit den Wappen, die Wolf in einem seiner Beiträge aufzeigt.
Mein Vorfahre ist nach Frankreich ausgewandert und hat in Dieulefit (Drôme) geheiratet. Dann ist er nach Algerien ausgewandert, woher alle seine Nachkommen stammen.
Wenn jemand sich für die EBERHARD aus Maseltrangen interessiert, gebe ich gerne meine Informationen ab dem Jahr 1880 (Daten und Bilder) weiter.
- Editiert von Nico am 23.05.2006, 11:41 -
- Editiert von Nico am 23.05.2006, 11:43 -

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Mi 26. Apr 2006, 22:35

There is a very nice book by Alois Stadler: Bauernhof - Gemeinde - Siedlung Maseltrangen, published 2004 by Ortsgemeinde Maseltrangen. In the context of emigration the following story is reported on page 173 (just summarized here):

Jakob Eberhard (* 1804) has held several official positions in Maseltrangen. He was not a farmer (as most people in Maseltrangen), but a craftsman, working first as carpenter, then "Fichter" (don't know the English word for it), from 1839 on he ran the "Frohsinn" Tavern. In 1836 he had married Maria Magdalena Giger from Rütiberg. The couple had 4 children, three died very young, and the mother died shortly after giving birth to the fourth child. Jakob Eberhard seems to have been very depressed by this, and gave up all his positions. In 1849 he married again, Maria Elisabeth Hofstetter from Rufi, but left Maseltrangen and moved to Uznach, where the three children from his second wife were baptized. The marriage was not a happy one - his second wife returned to Maseltrangen in 1862 - little is known about Jakob and the children at this time. In 1868 he lived in Schänis and asked "Ortsgemeinde" Maseltrangen for financial support to emigrate to America with the three children from his second marriage. They arrived in New York on the ship "Bellona" on 12 May 1868. The New York 1880 census confirms that Jakob still lived in New York as labourer, living with his son Johann. No more information on these people is known - in 1914 the children were declared missing by the Gaster District Court.

Now we come to the important bit: the only surviving son from the first marriage was Johann Jakob, born 1837. He stayed in Switzerland and just moved to Geneva in 1868. In 1869 he asked for permission to marry a French woman. As he still had some debts in Maseltrangen the administration was hesitant - but changed their mind after an illegitimate child was born. Later the family moved to France.

I have no doubt that this is the family you are looking for! I will therefore forward your query to Alois Stadler, the author of the Maseltrangen book and local historian.
- Editiert von Wolf am 26.04.2006, 23:49 -
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

geneviève

Beitrag von geneviève » Do 27. Apr 2006, 07:30

Thank you very much, dear wolf !
is it possible to have filiation of jakob Eberhard ?
about johann jakob, my "grand-father", you say an illegitime child was born but the 2 children he had was born in france, the first was Maurice jean-jacques born on the 29th of november 1870 in Dieulefit and the second was Célina Mélanie who went in America and returned in dieulefit for dying in 1948. Who is this illegitime child, wedding was on the 30th of July 1869, only Maurice is born after.
for my ancesters who went in new-york, I would like to know their destinity, is it possible?
if i can find something about them , it could be very interesting!
bye!
- Editiert von Wolf am 27.04.2006, 13:11 -

Wolf

Beitrag von Wolf » Do 27. Apr 2006, 12:47

Dear Geneviève,

first I have to say that the book by Alois Stadler is the only source available to me right now, and I have copied all relevant information to my above posting. As mentioned, I have forwarded your request to Alois Stadler, and I hope he can answer some of your questions and give you additional information.

For the "illegitimate child": that seems to be what is on record in Maseltrangen. If we combine what's stated in the book, and your information, we have:
1. In 1869 he asked for permission to get married, and was denied permission in the first instance.
2. He was granted this permission after the birth on an illegitimate child, and your information is he got married 30 July 1869.
3. The oldest child known to you is Marice, born 29 Nov 1870.

Let's assume he was granted permission to get married before 30 July 1869 - so the Maseltrangen administration would have changed their minds rather quickly (within months or even weeks). By then a child would have been born - which you don't know anything about: a possible explanation could be that this child died very young, even before the family moved to Dieulefit.

Now, this looks to me like a plausible explanation - but there is no proof it is the correct explanation! Let's wait and see what Alois Stalder can add to this discussion. By the way - do you know where the wedding took place? Genève? Somewhere in France?

Your second question: what happened to Jakob Eberhard (*1804) and his children in USA? Nothing seems to be recorded in Maseltrangen: the children were declared missing in 1914 - that means the Maseltrangen administration couldn't get any information on their whereabouts. They didn't have the internet then - so possibly you'll be more successful today. There is an Eberhard mailing list on rootsweb:
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surname/e/eberhard.html
I would recommend you subscribe there, and ask whether any Eberhard in the USA can help.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

geneviève

Beitrag von geneviève » Do 27. Apr 2006, 17:13

dear wolf,
jean-jacques or johann-jacob Eberhard married with Mélanie Terrasse on the 30th of july 1869 in Dieulefit (drôme) and his son Maurice is born on 29 november 1870, he is my grand-grand father. mélanie terrasse was born in Dieulefit, on 2 august 1842, i don't think they had an illegitime child before wedding, it was not a good thing!
i made research about Jacob Eberhard in new-york, i found census 1880 but he changed his name and became John.j Eberhard and his son johann became joseph A Eberhard, les births dates are correct, I also found passengers listing of "Bellona", there was 3 children Caroline age 19, johann age 13, and alfred age 12. They lived in Kings (brooklyn) but In 1880, there is nothing about caroline and alfred, perhaps they came to anywhere else. I made research on rootsweb, but I did'nt find anymore about them? did have changed their name? i'll continue ....
- Editiert von Wolf am 27.04.2006, 19:47 -

Antworten

Zurück zu „St.Gallen (SG)“