Thoma von Benken SG

Moderator: Wolf

Antworten
alfred39

Thoma/Schlittler in Oberürnen

Beitrag von alfred39 » Fr 10. Dez 2010, 01:24

Hello. This is my first post. I descend from Thoma/Thomma/Thomann von Benken, SG, and Schlittler von Oberürnen, GL. I am looking for the birth/baptism record of my great-grandfather Jacob Rudolph Thoman (USA spelling).
1. He was born in Oberürnen in 1848-1850.
2. His father was Johann Jacob Thoma or Thomma(1823-1852), citizen of Benken, innkeeper, living in Oberürnen in late 1840s and early 1850s.
3. His mother was Maria Martha Ludovica Schlittler, born August 1823, from Oberürnen or Näfels. Her mother was a Stuki.

My great-grandfather's baptism was not recorded in the Benken Catholic Church Books. Probably, he was baptized in St. Hillary Catholic Church in Näfels. Unfortunately the Mormons did not microfilm the Church Books of St. Hillary.

Here are some questions: Do the St. Hillary Church Books exist? Where are they located? Are they available to be read? Has anybody seen them? Has anybody seen my great-grandfather's baptism record?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and best regards.
Alfred Thoman
Wellesley, Massachusetts

Wolf
Thoma von Benken SG

Beitrag von Wolf » Sa 11. Dez 2010, 10:18

Hello Alfred,

an organisational issue first: only a single family (name) should be discussed in any one thread - in the canton of the citizenship. I have therefore renamed and shifted your question. For further questions on Schlittler, please, start a new thread; threads can be linked to each other to avoid duplication of information.

Näfels church records begin in 1655. Unfortunately they seem not to have been filmed by the Mormons (none in Glarus have). According to a list published in 1946(!) the records were then kept at the parish archive.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

Aspis
Thoma von Benken SG

Beitrag von Aspis » Sa 11. Dez 2010, 20:14

Take a look here ;-)

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ ... r1835a.htm

Maybee You can find something usefull.

Greetings Theo
Gruss Theo

Gebiete: Bruggmann Degersheim-Magdenau/SG, Strässle Bütschwil/SG, Mumenthaler Trachselwald/BE, Maibach Dürrenroth/BE, Mosimann Lauperswil/BE, Vogel Bütschwil/SG, Widmer Altnau/TG, Feybli Einsiedeln/SZ

alfred39

Thoma von Benken SG

Beitrag von alfred39 » Sa 11. Dez 2010, 23:55

Hello Wolf,

Thank you for the organizational advice and for moving the Thoma thread to St. Gallen. I have a question: If I wish to open a completely new topic relating to Thoma in Benken, St. Gallen, do I use the same thread?

Thank you also for your response regarding Näfels church records. It's a place to start.

Best regards
Alfred Thoman
Wellesley, Massachusetts

Wolf
Thoma von Benken SG

Beitrag von Wolf » So 12. Dez 2010, 00:03

Original von alfred39
If I wish to open a completely new topic relating to Thoma in Benken, St. Gallen, do I use the same thread?
What do you mean with completely new? The idea of the forum is that families (i.e. same name with the same place of citizenship) should be discussed in threads - so anyone looking for info on this family will find it in one place, not scattered around. So - if we assume that all Thoma of Benken are related (even if this may be impossible to prove due to lack of sources), all questions relating to this family should be in the same thread.

Thank you for asking - and all the best with your research - Wolf
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen

alfred39

Thoma von Benken SG

Beitrag von alfred39 » So 12. Dez 2010, 00:56

Hello Wolf
Thank you for your reply to my question. It was very helpful.
Best regards
Alfred Thoman
Wellesley, Massachusetts

alfred39

Thoma von Benken SG

Beitrag von alfred39 » So 12. Dez 2010, 17:23

Hello Theo,

Thank you for your reply. I am lucky to have ancestors who lived in Benken. The dheimann website is very useful! That is where I started my search. I found my 2-great and 3-great-grandparents in it. Also the Benken church records are quite easy to read back to about 1780.

Unfortunately, the birth record of my great-grandfather, Jacob Rudolph, is not listed on the website or in the church books. His older brother's birth (1846) is recorded in Benken, but no Jacob Rudolph (1848-1850). I am now trying to find the record in Canton Glarus, where he was born.

Thanks again and best regards - Alfred
Alfred Thoman
Wellesley, Massachusetts

Antworten

Zurück zu „St.Gallen (SG)“