Bodin à Genève

Moderator: Svenja

Bodin

Bodin Hugenots to Geneva or Switzerland?

Post by Bodin »

Deutsche Übersetzung anschliessendHello,

I will have a couple of days in Geneva this summer to do some research. I would like to see if any Huguenots with the surname Bodin moved to or lived in the Geneva area or even beyond that into other parts of Switzerland. Does anyone have suggestions as to the best way to spend my two days in Geneva? I will not be able to travel out of the city. I will need to do all my research in town. I would appreciate any suggestions you would have.

Thanks,
Dave BodineIch werde in diesem Sommer ein paar Tage in Genf sein und Zeit haben, um nach Hugenotten Bodin zu suchen, die in Genf oder Umgebung gelebt haben. Wer kann mir Hinweise geben, wie ich meine Zeit am besten verwende? Ich werde allerdings nur in der Stadt sein, ohne Möglichkeit zum Herumreisen.
Vielen Dank - Dave Bodin
- Editiert von Wolf am 15.02.2008, 19:52 -

Wolf

Bodin à Genève

Post by Wolf »

Hello Dave,

a technical comment first: no need to put your mail address into the text - this just invites spam! Whoever wants to contact you directly can do so via the mail button - which is why I have removed your mail address while adding the German translation.

Now for your query: I cannot give you any hints about research in Geneva - which is right across entire Switzerland from St.Gallen, where I live. Just a general comment, based on the Register of Swiss Surnames: Bodin is not a Swiss surname - likely an Americanized version of BAUDIN. Baudin have been citizens in several communities of Vaud and Fribourg since before 1800. Whether any of these families were Huguenots, I would not know.
Bodin erscheint nicht im Familiennamenbuch - es dürfte sich um die amerikanisierte Form von BAUDIN handeln, seit vor 1800 in mehreren Gemeinden in Vaud und Fribourg verbürgert.

Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Mitglied der Genealogisch-Heraldischen Gesellschaft Ostschweiz (GHGO) - https://www.ghgo.ch/
Eingesetzte Software: Ahnenforscher

Develey Yvette

Bodin Hugenots to Geneva or Switzerland?

Post by Develey Yvette »

Hello Mr Bodine,
If you do some research work in Geneva, you will have to go to the Archives d'Etat in Geneva. Many hugenots came to Geneva, very often they could not stay long in the city which was very small at that time. They went further, to Lausanne, Neuchâtel, Basel, Zurich etc. and to Germany. Unfortunately a complete list with all the huguenots in Switzerland does not exist. In Geneva you will only find the huguenots who remained in the city.
If you give me some names of your Bodin (are you certain the name is BODIN, could'nt it be Baudin ??) and some dates, I will have a look at the Archives d'Etat if the name is mentionned in their files or not and inform you.If there are no such names listed then they did not stay in Geneva. I can also look in Lausanne. Best regards CYD

Bodin

Bodin à Genève

Post by Bodin »

Hi Wolf,

Thanks for fixing up my message and for the translation. Our American name Bodine comes from the French name Bodin. I have done research in France and that is the way it was spelled even centuries ago. The two main American lines of Bodin came from near Bethune/Armentieres (northern France) and Medis (near Saintes, France). I'll put some more info in the other response my query got.

Thanks, Dave Bodine
Unser amerikanischer Name Bodine stammt vom französischen BODIN ab - die amerikanischen Linien kommen ursprünglich aus Bethune/Armentieres (Nord-Frankreich) and Medis (bei Saintes, Frankreich): dort wurde der Name schon vor Jahrhunderten so geschrieben.
- Editiert von Wolf am 16.02.2008, 10:37 -

Bodin

Bodin à Genève

Post by Bodin »

Hello CYD,

I wrote in my other response to Wolf that our name was spelled Bodin even in France centuries ago. It is spelled Bodine in America now. The two main lines of Bodin came from northern France (Bethune/Armentieres) and western France (Medis near Saintes). Common names from the northern line were Jean, Pierre, Abraham, Cornelius, Jacob, Isaac. Common names from the western line were Jean, Francis, James/Jacob, maybe William. Several by the name Jean Bodin went to America in the late 1600's. Several from the Armentieres Bodin line ended up in Leiden, Holland. The Medis Bodin line went through London and were there for a while before heading to America. Problems for the Huguenot Bodin lines started in the late 1500's in France.

Thanks, Dave Bodine
- Editiert von Wolf am 16.02.2008, 10:38 -

Develey Yvette

Bodin à Genève /Bodin in Geneva ?

Post by Develey Yvette »

Hello,
I searched at the Archives d'Etat in Genève, I could not find any BODIN in Geneva. I conclude therefore that they did not passed or stayed in Geneva.
CYD
see also Bodin in Vaud ?
- Editiert von Wolf am 08.03.2008, 13:08 -

Bodin

Bodin à Genève

Post by Bodin »

Hi,
Thank you very much for checking on this. I really appreciate your help. I guess I will just be a tourist in Geneva this trip and not worry about trying to do any research. [:]

Have a great day and thanks again,
Dave
- Editiert von Wolf am 08.03.2008, 13:07 -

Return to “Genf - Genève (GE)”