Translate words from Passenger's Diary 1858

Hier posten, was nicht einem bestimmten Bundesland zugeordnet werden kann.
Hier posten, was nicht einem bestimmten Bundesland zugeordnet werden kann.
Antworten
waynenort

Translate words from Passenger's Diary 1858

Beitrag von waynenort » So 17. Jan 2021, 01:56

Hi,

I'm online translating a German diary from an ancestor onboard the Euphrosyne barque in 1858 and need help with the phrase in red within this paragraph.

The context of the paragraph is two sailing ships (Euphrosyne and Alartus) almost colliding at sea.

Original text:
Plötzlich jedoch stieg der Lärm auf eine ängstigende Höhe, und ich eilte nach dem Achterdeck. Die Nacht war so dunkel, dass ich nichts sogleich unterscheiden konnte. Die Matrosen heulten mit doppelter Kraft, indem sie an den ächzenden Tauen rissen. Ich bemerkte allmälig, dass die Raaen back gebrasst wurden, und dass leichte Windstösse in die Vorderflächen der Segel fielen, die Euphrosyne rückwärts treibend, und endlich draussen auf dem Wasser dicht zu unserer Rechten ein schwarzes Ungeheuer, der Alartus. Wir hatten jetzt raumen Wind, die Gefahr war vorüber.
My English translation.
Suddenly, however, the noise rose to a frightening level, and I hurried to the quarterdeck. The night was so dark that it was difficult to distinguish the goings-on. The sailors heaved with all their might, tearing at the groaning ropes. I noticed gradually that the hulls were baked?, and that light gusts of wind fell into the fore-sails, driving the Euphrosyne backward, and at last, out on the water close to our right, the monstrous ship Alartus. We now had a clear wind. The danger was over.
What's happening with the ship's hull?

Thank you kindly,
Wayne

hhg
Supporter2023

Re: Translate words from Passenger's Diary 1858

Beitrag von hhg » So 17. Jan 2021, 10:57

My amateur's understanding: Rahen are the horizontal wooden bars of sails. One their left and right ends, Brassen = rope pulleys allow to adjust sails vertically, in order to navigate the ship into right direction, depending from where the wind blows. Rahen back brassen is a manouevre to turn sails to the opposit side of the mast, in other words the opposit of "pillowed" sails

waynenort

Beitrag von waynenort » So 17. Jan 2021, 13:05

Ok that makes sense.

This is swinging the boom (the horizontal wooden bar) - And when swinging the boom to the opposite direction seaman refer to this as "coming about".

It's now changed this:
Suddenly, however, the noise rose to a frightening level, and I hurried to the quarterdeck. The night was so dark that it was difficult to distinguish the goings-on. The sailors with all their might heaved at the groaning ropes. Gradually the boom began to swing and come about. Light gusts of wind filled the fore-sails, driving the Euphrosyne backwards, and away from the monstrous ship Alartus that was close on the water starboard.
We now had a clear wind and the danger was over.
Much appreciated
Wayne
Zuletzt geändert von waynenort am So 17. Jan 2021, 13:22, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

waynenort

Beitrag von waynenort » So 17. Jan 2021, 13:19

Ok that makes sense.

This is swinging the boom (the horizontal wooden bar) - And when swinging the boom to the opposite direction seaman refer to this as "coming about".

It's now changed this:
Suddenly, however, the noise rose to a frightening level, and I hurried to the quarterdeck. The night was so dark that it was difficult to distinguish the goings-on. The sailors with all their might heaved at the groaning ropes. Gradually the boom began to swing and come about. Light gusts of wind filled the fore-sails, driving the Euphrosyne backwards, and away from the monstrous ship Alartus that was close on the water starboard.
We now had a clear wind and the danger was over.
Much appreciated
Wayne

hhg
Supporter2023

Beitrag von hhg » So 17. Jan 2021, 16:32

second thought: my picture of swinging the boom is a common routine to get sails into a better position to "catch" wind, with the intent to move forward, or gain speed. Rahe backbrassen rather aims to slow down, stop, or move the boat backward, by turning the sail against the wind. In this case, obviously a succesful emergency manouevre to avoid a collision

waynenort

Beitrag von waynenort » So 17. Jan 2021, 21:19

Yes, that works much better.

Thank you :)

Antworten

Zurück zu „General“