Wesenberg von Greifenwalde

Moderator: clarissa1874

LynnSmith

Wesenberg von Greifenwalde

Post by LynnSmith »

Seeking any family history on Johan Carl Wesenberg, said to be born 26 Jan 1834 Buddenbrock, Pomerania, wife Henrietta Piepenberg, or Pippenburg, said to be born 28 May 1840, maybe Friedenstal, with children Wilhelmina b. 25 Jan 1861, Amelia b. 15 Apr 1862, Carl b. 22 Sep 1863, Albertina b. 05 Jun 1865 and Anna b. 22 Feb 1867 all said to be born Buddenbrock, near Greifenwalde. Today, this is Krajnik near Gryfino in Poland. So not sure if Germany would hold the parish books, or Poland. The family in America are Lutheran’s. Family emigrated to America bet. 1867-1870.

Walt Bruetsch
Supporter 2016

Re: Wesenberg von Greifenwalde

Post by Walt Bruetsch »

Hi, FamilySearch.org is a source you need to try. Go to Search, then Catalog. Select Place. Then slowlyyyyy enter: k, r, a, etc. and see what shows up. You can do the same with each place name.
The available microfilms will need to be viewed in a Family History Center near you, via sitting down with their computers, linked to Salt Lake City.
Best wishes, Walt

Walter BruetschUSA

hhg

Post by hhg »

Lynn,

this Wesenberg family has been subject before
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=23289&p=86089&hili ... erg#p86089

Then, I tried to help. Neither the thread I started
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=22612&p=83544&hili ... erg#p83544

nor various phone calls turned out any hints. Just the general info that a lot of records were destroyed, or transferred to all sorts of places, during WW II aftermath. As far as I can tell, no chance to find any church books in Germany. Poland sources are/were beyond my capacities. The few I tried never answered my enquieries in German language.

Sorry this is not helpful. But consider to contact forum member PJGordon (who started the Piepenberg thread for Johan Carl Wesenberg's wife), he was online in this forum in January 2020.

Good luck!

LynnSmith

Post by LynnSmith »

Thank you kindly for your information and help. I was afraid that was the case, of history being lost due to WWII.
I found this: In 1749 the city of Greifenhagen had to give up the south of its territory and the west of Pakulent on royal orders to found a new settlement. As early as 1748, 20 Palatinate families were handed over to the city of Greifenhagen by the Samnitz War Council.
Who is the Samnitz War Council. Are these a German group, or society? Gads, so much to learn. Even if I can't find the church books, I am enjoying the history.

hhg

Post by hhg »

Samnitz War Council: Bad translation for German Kriegsrat.

Krieg= war, but Rat stands for both, council AND councellor. Kriegsrat was the official's rank of one Mr. Samnitz, who was in charge of Palantine settlers that were recruited to cultivate a terretory within Greifenwald limits, which became Buddenbrock.

Walt Bruetsch
Supporter 2016

Post by Walt Bruetsch »

Hello,
The Family History Library microfilm numbers are: 887232, 887246 and 887247. Via FamilySearch.org > SEARCH > CATALOG > FILM NUMBER, a person can enter a number and view the details of the film. To see the individual pages, a person has to be at a Family History Center.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/In ... ry_Centers

Best wishes and good luck researching, Walt

Walter BruetschUSA

LynnSmith

Post by LynnSmith »

Thank you. I have written to my closest FHS and asked if we can borrow these from Salt Lake City main branch, as they are not online. Due to the COVID19 they are still shutdown, but maybe they can get them ordered so when they reopen, I can spend several days viewing these. Wonderful find and very promising.

LynnSmith

Post by LynnSmith »

In 1860 Buddenbrock is in Germany. By 1945 it is now Poland, renamed to Krajnik.
Why would Germany be giving Poland land? If it was land Poland occupied and taken by Germany in WWII thru invasions and than after the war it went back to Poland, but in 1860 it is German land. How does Poland come into possesion of the land? I guess I'm missing some history lessons.

hhg

Post by hhg »

Same background that make terretories subject of politics still today: Stronger party makes the rules. In earlier history, in background of the confusing feudalistic system, the area went partially to and fro between the kings of of Sweden and Prussia. In 1871, Deutsches Reich (German Empire) was contracted, more or less the first German nation in today's terms. After Hitler's Third Reich was defeated, Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin agreed that former East German terretories would get to Poland, as compensation for those former Eastern Polish areas that were given to Russia. For details, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curzon_Line

Walt Bruetsch
Supporter 2016

Post by Walt Bruetsch »

Hello,
Like many genealogist, I too wanted to learn more about European history. I found an old atlas, the 1977 Hammond Medallion World Atlas, which had a series of maps of Europe from BC thru 1970's. Most helpful was the ability to focus on the Oder River region, and follow how it changed governments over the 100's of years.
Now days, this atlas, will mostly be found in thrift stores and used bookstores. But your local libraries may have a collection of atlases to be viewed. My Martin County, Florida, genealogical room has a similar atlas available for researchers.
Best wishes, Walt

Walter BruetschUSA

Return to “Ehemalige Ostgebiete”